To provide a starting point for questions users may have about the LVAD and how quality of life could change.
For when users have a specific question they want to ask and may need to get in touch with an expert.
Both patient and the potential caregiver will be able to view the patient’s prognostic information to get a better idea of how an LVAD could improve or worsen their quality of life
The decision aid will be available online for both patient and the potential caregiver to view whenever and wherever they are.
Week 15 aka ETC Festival Week aka the last week of development before finals. After what happened during softs, the team really got to work to make the most of the last few days we had.
Our programmers have gotten our website for the most part functional. We were able to showcase it at this week’s festival with more success then what we had expected. While the project isn’t as flashy, fun, and/or interactive as other projects, people were drawn to the real world applications. Professionals, parents, kids, and senior citizens that visited were all impressed and wanted to see the app become a reality. We even got into contact with a visitor from the TechShop that was interested in helping the project.
Taking the advice of a faculty member on approaching a senior citizen apt building in the city for playtests, we were able to plan one for Friday. This would happen after our playtest with the Osher Learning Institute. We had sent both organizations sign-up sheets and waited for playtesters to put their name down. Despite getting lots of interest from the people we talked to during the process of setting these up, no one signed up.
While it was disappointing that we got no playtesters, this doesn’t really affect the design or implementation at the current time. Any significant changes to better the app at this point needs to be made based on observations of actual patients using it. The faculty members (who were also senior citizens) that playtested for us were healthy individuals. The ability to navigate and understand the content could be affected from common ailments end-stage heart failure patients experience: decreased mobility, difficulty breathing, etc. Our clients are still interested in working with the ETC and ourselves for the remainder of the research beyond the semester. Once these playtests happen, we can aid them in the right direction.
The remainder of the development for the app now consists of fixing any bugs that are still present. These should (hopefully) be fixed by the time our finals presentation rolls around.
Last week was Softs (the last informal update teams give to the ETC faculty with the chance to look at the deliverable) and Code Blue as a team learned two very important lessons.
That being said, the faculty pointed out that with our target age range, we could have called the senior citizen groups back in September saying we wanted to playtest something that we knew they needed to be able to use. We didn’t need to know what we were building yet.
Because of these two things, the app was essentially a skeleton waiting for data to be plugged in. With a walkthrough, we could show the faculty the important parts without having to explain over and over again why the content wasn’t present. This did not work.
Instead of having a good presentation like we thought, the ETC faculty said that we had spent too much time presenting and not enough time showing the deliverable. What we were presenting should have been saved for Finals and the faculty didn’t have enough time to grasp what we were building. Additionally, because we had presented the deliverable and not had them play with it themselves, we have given the impression that something is wrong with the deliverable itself. Code Blue needs to implement the last design changes and update the content fast enough (to the point that people can use it) so that we can invite faculty back to fix their outlook of us.
As for constructive criticism, we got some good pointers on making the UI easier for seniors to handle and where we could set up playtests before finals. These include:
Some of the other suggestions we got like adding subtitles to the video were good ones to have but are not able to be achieved with the time we have left. Those we will be adding to our documentation and suggestions to do in the future that we will be handing off to our client.
Not much to report this week, since we don’t have core hours on Tuesday, and Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are part of our Thanksgiving break and most of our team has left Pittsburgh.
We had a quick advisor meeting on Tuesday to run through the new UI. Scott was very disappointed that the UI has not been completely implemented over our existing code, which was a bummer but we understand where he’s coming from. With any luck, there won’t be any more changes to the UI so we can focus on finishing this up in time.
We’ve started working on our team videos. Interviews (both team and client) are completed, and B-roll footage is mostly done too. We’ve a rough cut of the 30s version, and an idea of what we want for the 3 minute version. Both videos should be completed by the end of next week.
We’ve finally gotten permission to organize a playtest with the older folks at the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. Unfortunately, the playtest is on December 9, the Friday before Finals, so we will not be able to integrate our findings into the app. However, we will still be analyzing the results and giving suggestions to our clients as part of our hand over package to them.
Happy Thanksgiving week everybody!