One of the most popular camera angles in video games is the third person camera. Games like The Legend of Zelda, Gears of War and Uncharted use some variation of the camera. The main concept of the third person rig was to see what life would be like if you saw in third person.
The gameplay of the third person rig was simply experiencing life from a new perspective.
2. Oculus Rift Development Kit
3. 2 Web Camera
4. Third Person Camera Rig
Running the Prototype
1. Connect the Oculus Rift as specified in normal operation to a laptop
2. Replace the typical AC adapter with: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MQO96U/
3. Connect 2 identical webcams vertically separated by 2.5 inches
4. Execute the application
5. If the cameras are flip-flopped press “a” to swap them
6. Take some time to adjust the lenses on the Oculus Rift so that the image on screen is as clear as possible
7. Most likely you will have to adjust the angle and location of your webcams to get the best effect
A Key: Swaps Cameras
The third person rig was an extremely unique experience. Every time a user put on the rig there was an immediate “woah”. Then usually they would complain about the bald spot on the top their head or comment on how good they looked. Moving and interacting while using the rig was difficult, because your point of perspective is 3 feet behind you.