This week went by quickly as we prepped for Quarters.

We started getting into some of the finer details of how a prototype will control. For instance:

  1. How does the player use the hookshot?
  2. How does the player use a sword?
  3. What should the distance between climb points be?
  4. What should the distance between hookshot points be?

We quickly looked to other VR games and experiences for inspiration. When it came to combat, Robo Recall seemed to have a possible solution to using equipment:

As seen above, the equipment can be “pulled” from the player’s back. It can also be pulled as if in a side holster. We plan on implementing similar functionality in our prototypes with the hookshot being a holstered weapon and the sword attached to the player’s back. 

When it came to answering questions 3 and 4, we went into our world to seek out the answers.

Our “tutorial” area was originally only meant to serve as a place where the player can quickly learn the mechanics and move on to the golem. What we found was that this area could be a playground of sorts as well as an excellent learning ground. For instance, the initial layout had the player ascending over terrain that resembled a staircase. However, upon looking downwards and seeing the previous “stair”, the sense of both progress and ascension was destroyed. Always seeing the ground and/or where you started from pushes the sense of progression and height. We modified the area to match our new discovery. 

We also examined more of how our project is shaping up and what we have been deeming important. Based on that conversation, we developed our Metric Matrix:

TOPICIMPORTANCE
Prototyping5
Gameplay / Interactivity5
Playtesting4
Documentation3
Art Style3
Effectiveness3
Innovation3
Audio3
Technology3
QA2
Storytelling / Writing2
Client Requirements1
Transformational Content Accuracy1

This was also the week that our killer logo was designed and finished. We went for an ancient and slightly mystical feel, complete with details to highlight the mountainous nature of our LSE.

Sound has been an aspect of the project we have not paid as much attention to as we might need to. While the majority of the focus has been on gameplay, scale, etc., sound effects, a golem “roar”, and placeholder background music have been created to further enhance to tone and aesthetics of our prototypes. In addition, since climbing will be such a repetitive action, our sound designer made sure to create multiple versions of the “climbing” sound effect to add variability and make those moments not as artificial and stagnant.

The hookshot mechanic is also implemented! While not bug-free, it does give us a base to build off of and another element to test within the world.

Each week has been bringing its own sets of accomplishments and challenges, but we seem to be meeting each hurdle relatively well. We’re looking forward to taking down our first LSE soon!

Categories:

Tags:

Comments are closed