We discovered during testing in the Spring 2018 term that there were some iterations to the mechanical design that would enhance the robustness of the design and the serviceability of the Tom Foolery animatronic.

The following are rough sketches of the paths we took in order to provide solutions for problems of

  • Shaft rotating within shaft collar
  • Replacing broken bearing
  • Make head tilt function more accessible for repair-ability

For “Problem 2” we chose solution 1 in order to have a more robust bearing at that point.  We also added a tapped hole underneath the bearing to add stability and prevent the shaft from moving out of the bearing to limit play.



Categories: Weekly Blog