All scenarios are designed so that students move their corporal bodies and use multiple senses. We attempt to engage modalities that are typically not stimulated during regular instruction. For example, while the fraction is occurring the image on the floor shows the animation of splitting and probably engages the vestibular system.
This game is a competition for 2 teams, and the faster team go through all the levels will be the winner. In the end, candy fireworks will show up as the prize for winners. However, the other team can still continue playing until they finish all the levels so that fireworks can be more fantastic.
All students in the class are engaged in tasks and play a role. Because they have responsibility, even as helpers on the sidelines when not in the space, they stay attuned. These game-style Communities of Practice are powerful predictors of learning and aid in leading users on the pathway to expertise.
Research has indicated that novelty (and the perception of novelty) is extremely important for learning information and maintaining attention. Giving students opportunities to experience content in a novel manner turns on the limbic rewards system.
We are making am embodied learning game for school students to help them reinforce what they have learned in class. With the platform in SMALLab, our game combines interactive technology with engaging story. The primary focus is to take advantage of SMALLab's capabilities in fun and pedagogical ways.
Hello everyone! We are now in the final stretch for the project having completed 14 weeks of design and development. We’ll discuss some feedback that we received recently and our plans for the future. Soft Opening need to clear up UX issues for clarify in terms of feedback and instruction clean up interface elements on the[…]
Hi everyone! Welcome to week 13 of our project. This will be a really short week for us considering the upcoming thanksgiving break. We have a few things planned for the two working days that we have before the team disappears for the holidays! Playtests Week 13: We had a playtest at Elizabeth Forward Middle School.[…]
This week we are keeping making progress on our project! We conducted a playtest at Connoquenessing Valley Elementary School, South Pittsburgh Street, Zelienople, PA. It was a long way to drive but teachers and students there are quite professional. According to the feedback from Connoquenessing Valley Elementary School, we are going to creating the progress bar[…]
The teachers’ tool is now well under way, and we have started on the implementing the progress bar and ending scene. As usual, we also have a playtest at Twin Rivers to test new features like color changing on each side and changing the numbers of levels and rounds. For the next step, here are some of[…]
We are now in week 10 and we have some exciting new developments to show off. Thank John for taking us to playtest at Linton Middle School. It was a great success after making new candies & characters and sticking them together. We are still working on the teachers’ tool that allows teachers to edit[…]
Hello everyone, welcome to our week 9 blog. This week we have our halves presentation on Monday, and get feedback from faculties and students. We also changed the mechanics a little. Now as you can see from the video, there is various pieces for players to choose at the beginning, so students might get a[…]
Now it’s week 8! Just a week away from halves, we get powerful help from an expert in educational games and also an ETC alumni – John Balash. Meeting with us regularly, John offered us great opportunity to playtest with him at other 3 schools in Pittsburgh. I would say it will def help us iterate[…]
Hi everyone. Welcome to week 7 of our project. This week we kept iterating our game. The whole game now look like: It indicates that we combine the theme, background picture and character together to get the whole game running smoothly. The students like the theme and characters very much. And Jamie is satisfied with how[…]
Hi everyone! Welcome to week 6 of our project. We had our quarters last week and we got some really valuable feedback. Following which we had a meeting with our client which eventually led us to make changes to our process, design pillars and goals for the semester. During the quarters Here is the summary[…]
The past week has been a really busy one for us as we prepared for the Quarter Presentations. After testing with the draft prototype, we are working on the theme of our game. Basically, we came up with an ideas about Halloween theme, in which players can feed a little ghost with candy. For sure, they[…]