Post graduation survey results of ETC students who completed degree requirements in December 2019 and May 2020.
Steps to Complete Your Application
Thank you for your interest in Carnegie Mellon University’s Entertainment Technology Center (ETC). The application process is completed online and submitted electronically. You do not have to complete the online application process in one sitting. Use your assigned PIN and Password from any computer with an internet connection to access your application as many times as you like. Before proceeding to a new section, click the “Save” button. Once you have completed all the application forms and sections to your satisfaction, submit your application by clicking the “Submit” button at the top of the page. You will be guided through the steps to electronically submit your application to our office. Please note you can only submit your application once. Applicants are fully responsible for completing and submitting their applications on time and in accordance with the following admissions guidelines.
In order for you to have completed the application process, the following materials must be submitted.
1. A completed online Application
2. A completed Statement of Purpose, no more than 3 single spaces pages, in which you discuss:
- Part 1: Your objective in pursuing a Master of Entertainment Technology degree, including your career goals and your reasons for choosing to apply to Carnegie Mellon.
- Part 2: Your background in entertainment and/or technology and other fields relevant to your objective. Describe how your academic, industrial or commercial experience prepares you for admission to the ETC¬.
- Part 3: Any additional details you wish to give the Admission Committee, including projects on which you have worked.
3. Applicants must submit a GRE Test score, OR a Portfolio, OR Both. If submitting the GRE, all test scores must be reported to the ETC directly, by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Please use institution code 2074 when having your scores sent to the ETC. (You may leave the department code blank.) Portfolios can be made up of examples of graphic arts, traditional artwork, music, writing, coding, or any other creative medium that highlights your skill set(s). It should include documentation that best represents your talent, abilities and potential.
4. A $75 application fee payable by credit card. The application fee is non-refundable.
5. Three letters of recommendation from individuals who can attest to your academic or professional qualifications. Recommendation requests are sent directly from the online application system via email to the person writing your recommendation.
6. TOEFL or IELTS scores, if English is not your native language/mother tongue, official scores should be forwarded to ETC by Educational Testing Service (ETS) and be no more than two years old. Please use institution code 2074 when having your scores sent to the ETC. (You may leave the department code blank.) ibTOEFL Requirements: 92 total
- ibTOEFL Listening Subscore 23
- ibTOEFL Reading Subscore 23
- ibTOEFL Speaking Subscore 23
- ibTOEFL Writing Subscore 23
IELTS minimum 7.5.
Update: Due to Covid-19, the ETC will accept the Duolingo English Test for the 2020-2021 admission application. We strongly encourage you to take TOEFL or IELTS, but if this is not available, we will review the Duolingo test and the minimum requirements are as follows:
- DET Conversation = 130
- DET Production – 130
- DET Comprehension = 130
- DET Literacy = 130
7. A copy of official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate studies mailed to:
Director of Admissions
Entertainment Technology Center
700 Technology Drive
Pittsburgh PA 15219 USA
8. A admission interview after you have submitted your application. We will be conducting interviews on site and via Skype. After your application has been submitted, you will be given further instructions.