The student handbook for the ETC students who entered in the program in August of 2021.
ETC Press releases Well Played: Volume 4 number 3
ETC Press is excited to announce the release of the third issue of the fourth volume of Well Played, a special issue on diversity in games, edited by Jane Pinckard and Clara Fernández-Vara. Submissions in this journal include:
- From Pixel Babes to Active Agents – 13 How to Fix the Lack of Diversity in Female Digital Game Characters – Usva Friman
- I Choose You! Diversity in the Design of 31 Pokémon – Amanda Ochsner and Jenny Saucerman
- Actions speak louder than 49 Hypersexualized Pixels: A Partnership with Lara Croft – Nathan S. McLachlain, Shawna K. Kelly, and Finn J. D. John
- “This Is My Story”: Representation and 66 Change in Final Fantasy X-2 – Kyrie Eleison H. Caldwell
- Hiding in the Tall Grass: Searching for 81 Queer Stories in Pokémon – Michael Thomét
- Never Alone (Kisima Inŋitchuŋa): 100 Possibilities for Participatory Game Design – Adrienne Massanari
- Death of the Gamer Slaying Gendered 123 Power Fantasies in Legendary Axe II (Victor Musical Industries, 1990) – Carl Therrien
Video games are a complex medium that merits careful interpretation and insightful analysis. By inviting contributors to look closely at video games and the experience of playing them, we hope to expand the discussion, and show how games are well played in a variety of ways. Contributors are encouraged to analyze sequences in a game in detail in order to illustrate and interpret how the various components of a game can come together to create a fulfilling playing experience unique to this medium. Through contributors, the journal will provide a variety of perspectives on the value of games. The goal of the journal is to continue developing and defining a literacy of games as well as a sense of their value as an experience.
The Well Played Journal is a forum for in-depth close readings of video games that parse out the various meanings to be found in the experience of playing a game. It is a reviewed journal open to submissions that will be released on a regular basis with high-quality essays.
The Well Played Journal has been receiving enough quality submissions to be published quarterly. We have organized our editorial board so that there are Associate Editors (Jane Pinckard and John Sharp) and Assistant Editors (Ira Fay and Clara Fernandez) to help set up a blind peer review process. Our goal is to publish great essays. There won’t be a subscription, although as with all ETC Press publications, all issues will be available for download for free, and we’ll offer print versions for sale through Lulu.com.
The ETC Press is an academic and open-source publishing imprint that distributes its work in print, electronic and digital form. Inviting readers to contribute to and create versions of each publication, ETC Press fosters a community of collaborative authorship and dialogue across media. ETC Press represents an experiment and an evolution in publishing, bridging virtual and physical media to redefine the future of publication.
All submissions and questions should be sent to:
drew ( at ) andrew ( dot ) cmu ( dot ) edu For formatting guidelines see ETC Press’s guidelines document.
Follow ETC Press on Twitter.
ISSN 2164-344X (Print)
ISSN 2164-3458 (Online)